• (616) 454-5222

Paternity Attorneys

Paternity Attorneys Grand Rapids, MI

As paternity lawyers in Grand Rapids, we understand the complexities of determining paternity and what it involves. This is a very emotional time that can be difficult to navigate in the legal landscape.

When a married couple has a child, the law presumes that the husband and wife are the biological parents. For this reason, it can be hard to establish your parental rights when a child is conceived outside of marriage.  You can request a paternity test to be done to determine if that child is, in fact, yours.

Fortunately, our paternity lawyers for men can help you establish paternity and pursue child custody.

Establishing paternity is more than a legal process; it’s about building families and securing futures. If you are seeking to establish paternity or have any paternity-related legal concerns, contact us at John Engman & Associates, P.C.  in Grand Rapids. Our dedicated team is here to provide you with the legal support and guidance you need during this pivotal time.

What Does Paternity Mean?

Paternity is the legal acknowledgment of a father’s relationship with his child. This process is vital in affirming a father’s rights and responsibilities, impacting various aspects like child custody, visitation rights, and child support. Both the child and the father benefit significantly from this legal recognition, as it lays the foundation for numerous rights and advantages. Our team at John Engman & Associates, P.C. is proficient in the different methods of establishing paternity in Michigan, ready to provide the guidance you need.

Methods of Establishing Paternity in Michigan

In Grand Rapids and across Michigan, there are several ways to establish paternity:

  • By Marriage: The law generally assumes that the husband in a married couple is the legal father of a child born during the marriage. However, to avoid future disputes, formalizing this presumption legally is advised.
  • Voluntary Acknowledgment: Unmarried parents can sign an Affidavit of Parentage, which is a straightforward and cost-effective way to establish paternity. This document can be completed at the hospital post-birth or later at a local vital records office.
  • Court Order: In cases of dispute or uncertainty, paternity can be established via a court order, often involving genetic testing.

Our experienced paternity attorneys at  John Engman & Associates, P.C. are adept at guiding clients through these legal avenues, ensuring a smooth process, whether it’s through voluntary acknowledgment or a court-ordered procedure.

Timelines for Establishing Paternity

In Michigan, while there’s no strict deadline for establishing paternity, addressing it sooner rather than later is beneficial for all involved. For unmarried parents, early voluntary acknowledgment is encouraged. Completing this at the hospital or subsequently at a vital records office allows for quicker access to the legal rights and responsibilities tied to paternity.

In disputed cases, though no specific time frame is mandated for resolution, prompt action is advisable. Obtaining a court order to establish paternity can resolve uncertainties or concerns about a child’s parentage. Our family law legal team at John Engman & Associates, P.C. is committed to efficiently navigating you through this process, prioritizing both your rights and the child’s welfare.

Contact Our Paternity Attorneys in Grand Rapids

Navigating the legal intricacies of paternity in Michigan is crucial for both fathers and children. Our paternity lawyers at  John Engman & Associates, P.C. are dedicated to assisting you through these complex paternity matters with empathy and professionalism.

Whether your goal is to voluntarily acknowledge paternity or resolve a dispute through the court, our team is here to provide the necessary support at every step. We understand the urgency and encourage you to take prompt action to safeguard your legal rights and uphold the child’s best interests.

Request Your Legal Consultation Today for Your Paternity Case

Our family law legal team at John Engman & Associates, P.C., we help establish paternity so your child receives the appropriate amount of child support from the father. No matter your situation, our family law attorneys have experience helping both mothers and fathers do what’s best for their children.

When it comes to the father’s rights, we understand how to best represent you. While we have worked with both parents, a father’s paternity is unique.  it needs to be established, and you can challenge it at any time.  Should you feel that you are not the father of a child or that you want to exercise your paternal rights, you should reach out and see what we can do for you.  Paternal rights are so important to the child, and what is in the best interest of the child is what our attorneys look for.  Call today, and let’s take a look at your unique case.

A child has the right to know who their father is.  As divorce lawyers for men, we assist fathers in getting the parenting time they deserve.  We also look at child support issues as well as custody.  We work with parents to establish paternity and also assist with the separation of marital assets.  If you are looking for a divorce lawyer for men in the Grand Rapids area, we are here to help.

As paternity lawyers, we understand the emotions involved with such cases.  We will do our best to accurately express what outcome we feel that we can achieve.  We are not the type of attorney who will promise you everything but will offer an accurate representation of what we can do for you.  It is important when looking for a divorce lawyer for men that you find someone who has your best interest.  You need a divorce lawyer for men who are confident and know the law inside and out.  Call today.

Our paternity lawyers in Grand Rapids, MI, are ready to help with your case. To request a consultation with one of our family law attorneys and prove your child’s paternity, call John Engman & Associates, P.C., at (616) 454-5222.

Contact Us To Start Moving Forward!

Call us today at (616) 454-5222 and schedule a free initial consultation